What is Curated Content?
Content curation is the movement of collecting information relevant to a specific topic or area of interest. This will usually have the intention of adding a valuable process of selecting, organising and looking after the items in a collection.
Curated content examples
There are many different types of content curation, including:
- Newsletters: a curated newsletter is an email campaign which marketers produce based on the most helpful industry-specific content.
- News feeds: a curated news feed is a website which automatically shows the latest content from your favourite websites on one single page.
- Social Media: social media curation is the process of gathering existing information such as blog posts, social media posts and videos which are written and shared by other people or brands and then sharing it to your followers.
Distribute curated content here
- Facebook feeds
- Twitter feeds
- Linkedin feeds
Benefits of curated content
- Compliments social media and blogging: the pressure of new content can put a strain on the marketing team within your business. Curation allows you to complement blogging and social media marketing activities with content produced by others.
- Supports lead generation: curated content brings traffic to your site, this will lead to certain goals such as:
- Increase in leads
- Increase in sales
- Increase in subscribers
Another main point is that it can lead to traffic to your site, which will allow you to convert visitors into potential customers for your business.
- Improves SEO: by curating content you are making more opportunities for search engines to bring your target market to your social media pages. By curating content you are casting a wider net.
- Build a knowledge base which content curation assists: Understand industry trends and patterns, monitor competitor activities, identify useful resources to team members and create a library of content ideas.
- Helps to identify trends to create better content: Content curation allows you to stay on top of trending topics. When curating content, you will sift through articles, posts and tweets to find relevant, high-quality information. By doing this curators will often notice emerging and current trends.
How to curate content
- Gathering the content for your audience is the first step, making sure that the content is within your field and interests your readers.
- Selecting the right content which is relevant and share-worthy enough is important to attract the right audience. This is why you must set up filters and why there are approve and disapprove options.
- To decide which content will go where to create optimal engagement, look at which distribution channels including social media, newsletters, blogs etc are best for which content. Also looking at the different formats including blog posts, infographics and ebooks to see what would work best for different types of audiences.
- It’s not all about copying and pasting content and links to social media, it is important to add your own take on the matter to engage your audience.
- When sharing the content you can give it a visual makeover by making it into a graphic which represents your brand style.
Firstly it is important to link the original source of content as taking credit for the original content is not ethically correct and is not accepted by Google. To avoid this and not look like a plagiarist, all that needs to be done is quote, add reference or link to the original source of content.
Secondly, making sure to add value to your curated content is important so you are able to give your insights about it rather than just copying it from the internet alone. By sharing related and informative content it will be ranked in SERPs.
Content curation tools will help your business to find relevant and updated content based on your search. The top content curation tools are:
- Twitter lists
What is news curation?
News curation is the process of going through content courses and sharing them with your audience in the form of a newsletter or simply adding it to your newsfeed on your website. Curating news speeds up the process of supplying news to your audience.
Benefits of news curation
As you are essentially sharing someone else’s work with your own thoughts, you would be technically giving a shout out to the original author of the content used. This will allow you to create new connections with people in the industry. Authors may even thank you for sharing their work.
Growing your readership:
By using curated content you are not having to come up with new ideas all of the time. It allows you to share other people’s content without having to come up with new ideas. As the demand for new content has risen, content curation is the new way of updating your audience regularly with news. Therefore you will not have to worry about your audience forgetting you exist as you will be sharing frequently.
Helps your audience:
As it is quite hard to consistently find relevant news, by curating the content it will pull off the relevant and quality news. This is possible as the news curator spends time and effort going through news sources so that they can share useful and valuable information.
Ethical way of sharing content:
To avoid plagiarism, curation allows you to share others’ content without being unethical. This is because you are not taking credit for someone else’s work, you are acknowledging their work by sharing it with your audience, allowing them to get recognition.
By curating news on a particular topic you are basically saying that you have expertise in that subject. As you will be presenting the best information to people and adding your own insights, it will make you be considered as a go-to expert in the field with your audience.To ensure that your content needs to be of the highest quality and your insights should be as valuable as possible.
Example of content curation software
CaboodleAI offers any business the opportunity to engage with their audience 365 days a year. Within newsletters and news feeds CaboodleAI curates the latest relevant news for your business allowing you to reject or approve stories to make the feed as relevant as possible. CaboodleAI curates the most relevant news for individuals by offering a recommended for you section within the newsletter, showing the individual a range of news specifically targeted to them.
The curated news feed will mean that you can host rolling news on your website, constantly aggregated and updated, 24/7. Then there is a newsletter template which means you can create and send newsletters to your audience whenever you want…using the stories from the newsfeed.
Content curation tools
- ShareIt – This is a free content curation software and influencer discovery tool which is used by bloggers and social media teams. By typing in a keyword, the platform will curate a relevant list of content pieces and handles. The content pieces will include blogs, videos and more. It also has an individual tab for influencers, which gives you a list of influencers and popular sites relevant to your search. Also the platform allows you to share content directly to your social media accounts through buttons next to each content suggestion.
- Buzzsumo – This content curation tool allows you to gather some great content which connects with your audience. All you need to do is enter a keyword or domain name to provide you with a list of the most shared content on the subject. The list can then be sorted by categories including date, content type, view backlinks, follow authors and more.
- SocialPilot – SocialPilot is a social media marketing tool which also provides content curation services.
- CaboodleAI – The curator software allows you to not worry about content. CaboodleAI is like a big funnel, which collects news sources from all over the world. The machine learning capabilities then sift through these stories and select the most relevant ones for publication. It is as simple as telling the platform the top courses of news for your business and the AI does the rest. After a short time the engine trains itself to select the most relevant stories for publication. This will then lead to your audience reading the most suitable news for them.